Sunday, May 12, 2013

GENESIS 4

Adam and Eve have been thrown out of the Garden of Eden burdened with a curse from god.   God didn't seem to handle this particular situation very well as he is, after all, their Father and he should have known that the snake was going to do what he did so it's his own fault really but he is taking it out on his children.

GENESIS 4
CAIN AND ABLE

1 Adam made love to his wife Eve, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, “With the help of the Lord I have brought forth a man.”

2 Later she gave birth to his brother Abel. Now Abel kept flocks, and Cain worked the soil.
3 In the course of time Cain brought some of the fruits of the soil as an offering to The Lord.
4 And Abel also brought an offering—fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The Lord looked with favor on Abel and his offering,
5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.
To bring forth a man she would have had to of had help from god, that can't have been easy.   The more I read about this god the less I like him.  At first he seemed like a nice deity but now he's turning into a bastard.

6 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? Why is your face downcast?
7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must rule over it.”
8 Now Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let’s go out to the field.” While they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him.
What a wank!  Just because god liked Abel's choice cuts of meat better than Cain's veg doesn't mean he had to go and kill him.  What was god going to do with all that food anyway?   He's god, he doesn't need to eat. Besides, it's gods creatures and his own veg... if it was my stuff that someone gave me I'd be quite pissed off. It all sounds simplistically silly; almost as if somebody had made it all up.
9 Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is your brother Abel?”

“I don’t know,” he replied. “Am I my brother’s keeper?”
10 The Lord said, “What have you done? Listen! Your brother’s blood cries out to me from the ground.
11 Now you are under a curse and driven from the ground, which opened its mouth to receive your brother’s blood from your hand.
12 When you work the ground, it will no longer yield its crops for you. You will be a restless wanderer on the earth.”
Why did god ask where Able was?   He's god!!  He knows everything!!  If you can create everything but forget where you put your creations, as such, then your not a very good omnipotent deity now are you. Anyway, with the lack of prisons I guess the punishment fit the crime and lets face it, Cain knew what he was doing.  I guess he could plead temporary insanity when he committed his crime of passion but on second thought, he did lead him into the field so it was premeditated.
13 Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is more than I can bear.

14 Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”
15 But the Lord said to him, “Not so; anyone who kills Cain will suffer vengeance seven times over.” Then the Lord put a mark on Cain so that no one who found him would kill him.
16 So Cain went out from the Lord’s presence and lived in the land of Nod, east of Eden.
How can you go out of gods presence?  Honestly, the writer of this hasn't really figured out who this god character is.  The definition of omnipresent is being everywhere at all times.  This is starting to be a nonsensical story.  How could anybody believe this stuff?
17 Cain made love to his wife, and she became pregnant and gave birth to Enoch. Cain was then building a city, and he named it after his son Enoch. 
Wait, when did Cain get married and to whom?  Were there others that were not borne of the garden of Eden?   If not then somewhere along the line Eve must have had another child which means Cain's wife is his sister.  I'm confused. Where did Cain's wife come from?  The writer of this story doesn't seem to care too much about the details.

18 To Enoch was born Irad, and Irad was the father of Mehujael, and Mehujael was the father of Methushael, and Methushael was the father of Lamech.
19 Lamech married two women, one named Adah and the other Zillah.
Two women huh?  First Cain marries an unknown woman, likely his sister and then Lamech marries two women which were of more than likely closely related and then we have the obvious question of the rest of the wives and where they came from.
And all this is traditional marriage?
20 Adah gave birth to Jabal; he was the father of those who live in tents and raise livestock.

21 His brother’s name was Jubal; he was the father of all who play stringed instruments and pipes.
22 Zillah also had a son, Tubal-Cain, who forged all kinds of tools out of bronze and iron. Tubal-Cain’s sister was Naamah.
23 Lamech said to his wives,
“Adah and Zillah, listen to me;
wives of Lamech, hear my words.
I have killed a man for wounding me,
a young man for injuring me.
24 If Cain is avenged seven times,
then Lamech seventy-seven times.”

That's very assumptive of him to say that he would be avenged 77 times if someone were to kill him without god telling him such like.  Maybe god doesn't yet know that Lamech killed someone (self defense of course) as he has not been punished at all.
25 Adam made love to his wife again, and she gave birth to a son and named him Seth, saying, “God has granted me another child in place of Abel, since Cain killed him.”

26 Seth also had a son, and he named him Enosh.
At that time people began to call on the name of the Lord.
So a big deal is made of all the sons but nothing is even said about the women.  There seems to be a lot of useless information in this chapter and next to no information that we need to know. I'm also beginning to think that this god is not all he is cracked up to be.  My assumption of god being omnipotent and omnipresent is based on what followers of this word have told me but there doesn't appear to be any evidence of this.  There has been no mention of his omniness (yes, I just invented a word) so hence force I shall assume no such prowess of said deity.


I write this blog because it is a passion of mine to explore the myth of god and along the way even I learn some cool stuff but it takes a lot of time and energy to write this blog. If you enjoy reading this blog please make a donation by clicking the DONATE button on the right so I can put more time into creating a better blog.

Thank you all
Justin

3 comments:

Rickey said...

If Abel's blood called out to God from the ground, that makes him sound like an earth god. Like Kromm from Conan the Barbarian.

Wasn't there a big furry Chewbacca character in The Labyrinth that spoke to rocks?

Justin Robert Harnish said...

At least those 2 works of fiction made sense.

Hausdorff said...

"How can you go out of gods presence?"

It seems pretty clear that the people who were writing this book were polytheists. When I read this chapter a little while ago, I was thinking that perhaps the garden of Eden was Yahweh's created humans, but over the hill perhaps there was another God's version of the garden of eden with their created humans.

It explains how he was able to get out of God's presence, and where Cain's wives came from. The chance of it being correct are pretty small as I pulled it out of my ass, but it seemed like a fun solution to me :)